a team of young people learning what it means to have gifts from God to use for His glory…and how powerful they are when we step back and let Him use them…

Friday, March 4, 2011

it's not ok

How many times have we heard “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”? or “you will do greater things even than Jesus did”? or “I will never leave you or forsake you, you will soar on wings like eagles”?
some crazy promises that can be tough to really believe and hold onto…
Now how many times have you thought this… “you can’t live JUST like Jesus did. You can’t live like that forever. You’re just human…”
We are QUICK to claim that one or one like it and it becomes this net that we can fall back on. “well God, I will live my life for you – I will overcome the flesh and I will beat my body into submission – but know that I’m just human, so I will fail sometimes. and its ok because you’ll forgive me. so I’ll try…” and that’s all true…EXCEPT where do we get this idea that it’s a given that we will fail eventually? that we can’t overcome completely – we can just try really hard? Those statements from the beginning - they are PROMISES.
He is TELLING us (not asking) that we CAN do ALL things through Christ. We WILL do greater things than Jesus did through the Holy Spirit. And while we’re doing all that – He will NEVER leave our side. He’ll be there, lifting us up…and He does NOT get tired.

Soak that in…Because it’s huge.
The bible also tells us that we will have trials, that there is sin in the world, that our flesh is weak – but nowhere in there does it say – “you’re going to try really hard, but even on my power, you’ll have to fall eventually”.
In fact – in 1 Peter it actually says “be diligent in these things and you will NEVER trip or stumble”.

Huh…
God is giving me this holy passion lately that we need to stop playing the “well I’ll try, but forever? That’s a long time to (fill in the blank with whatever- disciplining ourselves, reading the bible daily, not gossiping, etc.)”
Yes, its overwhelming. Yes, it seems crazy. And yes, we – on our own – will fail eventually. But we’re not supposed to do it on our own. we’re supposed to lean on Him.
In our youth group we have been asking some tough questions lately…
Do you know if you are going to Heaven?
Are you passionate for God?
Are you on fire for Him?
And the tendency (I know I’ve done it so many times in the past) is to look at these questions and quick say –
well, nobody is passionate ALL the time.
everyone has doubts at one point or another.
sometimes I’m kind of lukewarm, but usually hot and on fire for Him…
and here’s the killer – “but no one can be _____ ALL the time”.

But I’m so done with that.
because every time I hear that answer lately (in my own head or from other people), immediately after- I see God shake His head firmly and say “no…don’t give me that answer”.
Because the reality is – God has given us the power to be able to answer these questions with a firm YES.
Yes I am passionate. It might be different kinds of passion at different times – but the Holy Spirit is the one who gives us passion, and He doesn’t ever stop being passionate.
Yes I am saved! I AM God’s child, and I AM living out my purpose. No doubts ever.
Yes, I am on fire. I am NOT cold, I am NOT lukewarm.
But we settle for just telling Him what we think He wants to hear. We make sure that net is there before we commit – and when we hear God tell us to live in righteousness and let go of our chains, we can say yes, absolutely – but then quick reassure ourselves that if we do fail – its ok. But we need to stop doing that. its NOT ok. we need to practice saying yes. And be done.
as soon as we say “but if I DO fail, I’m still ok, because I have this safety net right here and it’ll all be all right” we allow failing to become a possibility. Yes God will forgive, Yes, God will restore – but why dwell on WHEN we will fail when we can rule out the possibility of there even being an IF???
Because being saved means that we are filled with God’s power, which also means that we, as His followers, have the supernatural ability to live the way Jesus did…to overcome and live holy and blameless... and we don’t have to fail.
So no more excuses, no more quick “sure I’ll try, but” answers.
When we ask ourselves questions like these – answer them truthfully.
If the answer is no, then we need to fix it.
if it’s a “sometimes, kind of”- we need to fix it.
God has given us the ability to answer with a resounding YES as long as we’re living by His power. we don't HAVE to live in constant fear of failing. Let Him work and heal and hold us up by HIS power...He wants us free and living a full life in Him the way He designed us to. strong and whole.
so don’t settle for kind of...
Its not ok.

-ALIVE

1 comment: