a team of young people learning what it means to have gifts from God to use for His glory…and how powerful they are when we step back and let Him use them…

Friday, August 27, 2010

the art of the psalms

So we took a week off from ALIVE last week because a very good friend of sarah and I - got MARRIED last Friday :) and so the rehearsal fell on Thursday.
But we were back last night! and it was so fun – but we missed sarah who was at home, taking care of her baby.
We spent some time reading through a couple passages from Psalms…if you want to read what we read through I’ll list them for you…
Psalm 77:1-4,14-20
Psalm 74:4-8,10-11
Psalm 80:4-5
Psalm 50:1-5,12-15,22-23
First pray that God will help you see these passages as you go. Then read through them…and as you do – pay attention to what images come to mind. Pay attention to what you think of, what you are reminded of. Don’t just read – but picture what you are reading as you go.
and if you feel led - pick up a pen and paper and write or draw or sing or whatever He is leading you to do!

Lately I have been learning to pay attention to what goes on in my head when I read God’s word. And not just what I am learning, but learning to see what pictures and images form. To see what God is showing me.
These passages are all FILLED with imagery. Just really really cool word pictures (fyi NIV has the best version for the words with these, I think) and I have been looking at “why use those particular words?”
Why not just come straight out and say what he means? And I think its because this psalmist (these are all from Asaph) is an artist. God uses his words to create these pictures so we can SEE what he is talking about and not just learn the words.
I have been realizing that if we never look…if we never pay attention – we wont see or hear what He is trying to show us. we wont – and how can we miss it??? The God of the whole universe is trying to speak to us and show us part of His creativity…lets soak it up for all its worth! :)

I personally have a tendency to analyze and figure out and try to sort out every detail when im creating art…but God is just telling me to stop. Just stop, close my eyes, take a deep breath, and just watch.
He will take care of it…He’ll create through us – we just have to take the time to see what He is trying to show us.

How cool is it that God gives the creative mind this inspiration??? These amazing pictures…the words alone just conjure up these amazing images. “the waters writhe and convulge”… “I hold out my wearying hand…you hold my eyelids open when I cannot”… “the perfection of beauty”.
Beautiful stuff.

After we spent some time with that last night, we got in groups and did more of the same – one group working on coming up with a new drama we could use – and they came up with a really really cool idea. We are going to work on it and see what God does, but im really excited about it – so stay tuned!
And the other group worked on coming up with a backdrop for the new sr. high area.
Mark Thurston is going to be talking about the cross…and what it means to live for Him…until we get to eternity.

Really excited about that too!
So we’ll keep you updated on what is coming – and keep us in your prayers!
That God will keep inspiring, keep pouring out His creativity and that we can remain submitted to Him.

So lets all take time to just sit, close our eyes, and see what He wants to show us…:)
Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment